Welcome to Part 2 of our three-part infographic series highlighting key data and insights gathered from the 2016 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends report produced by Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs.
What we’re hoping to do with the series is answer the one question in the minds of many B2B content marketers: What does effective content marketing look like and what does it take to earn the coveted title of “best-in-class.”
In this part in the series, we present B2B content marketing data an insights related to content creation and distribution, and goals and metrics. In Part 1, we took a look at usage and effectiveness, and strategy and organization (if you missed Part 1, read it now).
Content Creation and Distribution
- 76% of B2B marketers say they plan to create more content in 2016
- 87% of B2B marketers ask their audience to subscribe to at least one content offering
- 93% of B2B marketers say they use Social Media Content as a content marketing tactic
- 75% of B2B marketers rate In-person Events as the most effective content marketing tactic
- 94% of B2B marketers say they use LinkedIn to distribute content
- 66% of B2B marketers rate LinkedIn as the most effective social media platform
Creating more content does not necessarily result in greater effectiveness:
- 73% of the most effective B2B marketers say they plan to create more content in 2016
- 81% of the least effective B2B marketers say they plan to create more content in 2016
Usage of content marketing tactics and social media platforms is not always aligned with effectiveness ratings:
- Although 93% of B2B marketers use Social Media Content as a content marketing tactic, fewer than 58% say it is effective
- 61% of B2B marketers rate Research Reports as an effective content marketing tactic, yet only 49% say they use them
- 62% of B2B marketers say they use Google+ to distribute content, but only 13% say it is effective
- Only 30% of B2B marketers rate Facebook as an effective social media platform, yet as many as 84% say they use it to distribute content
Effectiveness is greater among B2B marketers who use more content marketing tactics and social media platforms and who get more out of them:
- The most effective B2B content marketers use an average of 15 different content marketing tactics vs. an overall average of 13 (out of 24 listed in the survey)
- The most effective B2B content marketers use an average of 7 different social media platforms vs. an overall average of 6 (out of 15 listed in the survey)
- B2B marketers who have a documented content marketing strategy rate content marketing tactics and social media platforms as more effective compared to marketers who do not have a documented strategy
Goals and Metrics
- 85% of B2B marketers say Lead Generation is the most important content marketing goal
- More than 80% of B2B marketers rate Sales Lead Quality, Sales and Higher Conversion Rates as important metrics
- 31% of B2B marketers say Sales Lead Quality is the most important metric used by their organization
Content marketing effectiveness has no apparent effect on how B2B marketers rate the importance of goals and metrics:
- Lead Generation and Sales, in that order, are the top two content marketing goals of most B2B marketers, no matter what their effectiveness level is or whether they have a documented content marketing strategy or editorial mission statement
- Regardless of how effective they are at content marketing, B2B marketers consistently cite Sales Lead Quality, Sales and Higher Conversion Rates as the top three most important metrics
Enjoyed this post?
If you enjoyed this post, sign up to get blog updates right in your Inbox. If you ever change your mind, you can unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of the emails.